Paws & Effect is in the second month of soliciting stories and art about our relationships with animals!
The nationwide arts and writing contest will be the centerpiece of our annual "One Heart, Four Paws" Valentine's Day celebration of the connections among humans and animals. We're looking for short fiction, non-fiction, poetry, and art in youth, military servicemember/veteran, and general public categories. There is a $100 monetary award in each category/subcategory. Deadline is Jan. 5, 2015.
Established in 2006, Paws & Effect is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that raises, trains, and places service dogs with military veterans and children diagnosed with medical needs. We also register therapy animals through Pet Partners, and host dog-agility events.
Editors are seeking previously unpublished flash-fiction, non-fiction, and poetry on the themes illustrating human-animal connections.
Winners selected in each of the following categories:
- Youth (Ages 6-12)
- Open—Fiction, Non-fiction, and Poetry
- Military service member/veteran—Fiction, Non-fiction, and Poetry
Winners in each category/subcategory will receive:
- Recognition at the Feb. 13, 2015 "One Heart, Four Paws" gala event.
- A monetary award of $100.
- Publication of their work(s) in a commemorative broadsheet, chapbook, or other physical object, to be distributed at the event.
All submitted works will also be considered for inclusion in a commemorative anthology, to be published later in 2015.
There is no submission fee for the Youth category. Youth submissions should be made via postal mail, using this downloadable form, or on-line here at Submittable.com. All hardcopy entries become the property of Paws & Effect and will not be returned. Send entries to:
"One Heart, Four Paws" Youth Contest
c/o Middle West Press
P.O. Box 31099
Johnston, Iowa 50131-9428
Guidelines for Open and Military/Veteran categories include:
- Submit via on-line tool at here at Submittable.com. There is a $15 submission fee.
- Limit one submission in each category per person.
- Poetry: up to 3 poems (5 pages maximum).
- All prose (including fiction, non-fiction, essay, and memoir): 750-word limit.
- Submissions exceeding the limits will be disqualified.
- Include a biography of 75 words or less with each submission. Past and present members of all branches, services, and nationalities may submit to the Military/Veteran category.
- Winners and contributors will be notified by Feb. 1, 2015.
- This project acquires first North American and anthology rights.
- Judges' decisions are final. Judges also reserve the rights to make additional awards in each category/subcategory, and to decline making awards within one or more categories/subcategories.